K4 and K5 form the foundation for your child's formal education. Class sizes at GCA are kept small so each child gets individualized attention from the teacher.
Hours for K4 and K5
K4 MWF - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
K4 TTH - Tuesday and Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
K5 - Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Enrichment Program for K4 and K5 students from 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Bible: Children Desiring God—Jesus, What a Savior by Desiring God Ministries
- Phonics: Introduction to The Logic of English
- Math: Every Day Counts Calendar Math
- Science: Harcourt Science
Through Harcourt’s activity manual, students are introduced to several scientific concepts. Units include Animals, Insects, Plants, Weather, Dental Health, and Five Senses.
- Social Studies: Units including Friends and Family, Where We Live and Play, Thanksgiving, Manners, Transportation, Famous Americans
- Related Arts: Music appreciation is integrated throughout the curriculum. In addition, students have formal classes in Music twice a week. Students have a scheduled recess time daily.
Although the schedule varies each day, this is a typical schedule.
- 8:30-8:50 Morning Meeting (Weekly Chapel for 3-day class)
- 8:50-9:00 Bathroom break
- 9:00-9:30 Music (twice a week)
- 9:30-9:45 Bible (lesson and verse recitation)
- 9:45-10:15 Phonics
- 10:15-10:45 Snack and recess
- 10:45-11:10 Math
- 11:10-11:30 Science/Social Studies/Handwriting
- 11:30-11:55 Reading (Teacher reading aloud to class)
- 11:55-12:00 Pack up and dismiss
- Bible – He Established a Testimony (Old Testament), Chapel
- Spelling – Logic of English
- Handwriting – Logic of English cursive
- Phonics/Reading – Students are taught to read using The Logic of English curriculum. From the publishers, "By integrating phonemic awareness, systematic phonics, reading, grammar, spelling, vocabulary development, fluency, and writing, Essentials provides a holistic approach to mastering written English." Supplemented with Dr. Suess books.
- Math – Rod and Staff
- Science – Harcourt. Through Harcourt’s activity manual, students are introduced to several scientific concepts.
- History – All around Greenville! Teacher-created units and field trips introduce children to their local community’s history and community helpers. Key Historical American Figures
- Related Arts – Music appreciation and art history are integrated throughout the curriculum. Students are exposed to the great artists of the past. In addition, students have formal classes in Music. Students have a scheduled recess time daily.
The K5 Class schedule may vary slightly from day to day, but generally looks like this:
- 8:30 School begins, morning work
- 8:35-9:05 Morning Meeting: Prayer, Pledge, Bible lesson, Calendar math
- 9:10-9:45 Logic of English phonics: writing, spelling, and reading are all integrated during this time.
- 9:50-10:35 Break: bathroom, snack, recess, bathroom
- 10:40-11:05 Math
- 11:05-11:50 Science, History, and/or Art
- 11:50-12:00 Pack up/Clean up
- 12:00 Dismissal